Friday, January 2, 2015

Grandma Killed on New Years

Grandma Killed on New Years
Grandson has Standoff with Cops
#NYPD #Standoff
(Photo by David Greene)

By David Greene

BRONX, NEW YORK, JANUARY 2- A deranged man shattered a peaceful Throggs Neck street when he created a standoff with police after allegedly killing his 87-year-old grandmother.

Celebratory balloons were still hanging on a staircase of a Hollywood Avenue home as a small army of police confronted a deranged man who held police at bay for nearly 90 minutes on New Year's morning.

Officers from the 45th Precinct were called to 633 Hollywood Avenue at just before 7:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 1, and were met by the suspect who pelted them with household items including several chairs, dishes, even a blow-dryer.

Several squads of the elite Emergency Service Unit and an armored vehicle, as well as members of the NYPD's Hostage Negotiation Team, were called to the scene as police climbed through fences and backyards surrounding the two-story home.

Residents were ordered back into their homes as police confronted the combative man, only dressed in a pair of shorts-- across the street from I.S. 192, which was closed for the holiday.

One 52-year resident of the block was in shock as she walked out of her home and witnessed the chaotic scene. "No I've never seen anything like this. This is sick, what is this world coming to."

As police attempted to negotiate with the man, three people who escaped from inside the home were transported to Jacobi Hospital in stable condition.

Police say a 67-year-old female was treated for an arm injury, a 55 year-old male suffered head trauma and a 56 year-old female sustained a laceration to her face.

Unconfirmed reports stated that the man was quoting scripture and ranting about the coming apocalypse-- as he tossed items off the balcony at police.

Upon entry to the bedroom where the suspect remained barricaded, police apparently used a stun-gun to subdue the suspect and he was placed into a waiting ambulance where paramedics treated him for a leg injury.

Once inside police discovered the body of the suspect’s grandmother, identified as 87 year-old Alice Durso. Police had reported that a shotgun may have been in the home, but one police source stated that Durso had suffered severe head trauma and may have been killed with the broken leg of a wooden table.

The still-unidentified 48-year-old suspect remains in police custody at Jacobi Hospital where he will undergo psychiatric evaluation.

Inside the ambulance the suspect told paramedics he is bipolar.

Durso's husband Vincent, 75, made headlines after he disappeared on April 20, 2010, after a day of tennis in Crotona Park. Police recovered his 1997 Honda Accord, but his body was never found.

Durso's murder in Throggs Neck was not the first murder in New York City in 2015, that distinction went to Melrose where Herb Huntley, 26, was shot to death inside the lobby of a building at St. Mary's Houses.   

No comments: